Having a formal, systematic safety program in place benefits everyone, from firms and employees to clients and the greater community. It helps prevent costly injuries, clients are becoming increasingly concerned with it, and ultimately, a formalized safety program can have positive consequences far beyond just your firm. So how can a firm successfully implement one?
- Cultivate a strong culture. When an employee feels that a company cares about their well-being, they are much more likely to comply with policies that keep themselves and others safe.
- Control yourself. The environments we work in are often out of our control, but we can control our own safety culture through trainings, rewards, and encouragement.
- Understand the “why.” Enforcing rules is much easier when you educate employees on the reason behind them.
- Look ahead. Leading indicators show where you’re going and how you can improve: are employees reporting problems? Are they taking appropriate trainings? Are reported concerns being addressed?
- Understand what you’re facing. To really be aware of the hazards employees face, it’s necessary to spend time with them, build trust, and listen.
- Comply, comply, comply. It’s important to have someone who’s familiar with all legal requirements to keep you on the straight and narrow.
All AEC firms can benefit from a safety program. What’s really at stake is the health and well-being of our people—hey, these rules are in place for a reason! You can read more on this topic here.