Tornado destruction at Lambert Field required the 131st CES and 231st CEF to relocate to the Jefferson Barracks Air National Guard Station, a US military installation in operation from 1826 until its deactivation in 1946. The building is listed in the National Register. Our cultural resources and structural design staff inventoried and assessed its existing facilities to identify the important historic features to apply the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation to determine the ability to reuse on-site buildings to accommodate the relocation.
The resulting plan balanced the new uses with the important historic features and provides 23,000 square feet of new administrative space. Our team provided a design that complied with the state historic preservation office, an anti-terrorism / force protection upgrade, progress collapse and seismic requirements were built into the design. Each floor was programmed with adaptable and configurable work spaces. Our structural design team incorporated energy-efficient HVAC innovations, water-conserving plumbing, and waste-reduction methods to meet specific sustainability measures set by our client.