Complete historic building renovation enables adaptive reuse
Tornado destruction at Lambert Field required the 131st CES and 231st CEF to relocate to Jefferson Barracks, a U.S. military installation in operation from 1826 until its deactivation in 1946. Our cultural resources and structural design staff inventoried and assessed its existing facilities to determine the ability to reuse on-site buildings to accommodate the relocation.
The renovated building, a registered historic three-story structure, received a major alteration and now provides 23,000 square feet of new administrative space. Our team provided a design that complied with the state historic preservation office, an anti-terrorism / force protection upgrade, progress collapse and seismic requirements were built into the design. Each floor was programmed with adaptable and configurable work spaces. Our structural design team incorporated energy-efficient HVAC innovations, water-conserving plumbing, and waste-reduction methods to meet specific sustainability measures set by our client.
Jefferson Barracks Air National Guard Station Historic Barracks Renovation
Missouri Air National Guard
St. Louis, MO
“Mead & Hunt was able to guide the project and team through the SHPO review and approval process in a way that maintained the historic fabric of the structure while meeting all of our unit’s mission goals. The open floor plan layout provides the adaptability and flexibility needed to meet our needs
Lt Col Lane Endicott
Commander of 131st Civil Engineer Squadron