Flying toward the future: Coeur d’Alene Airport master plan presented
May 30, 2018
Team led by Mead & Hunt guiding long-term development at one of Northern Idaho’s premier general aviation airports.
Though far from final, possible changes to North Ramsey Road, North Huetter Road, and two runways at Coeur d’Alene Airport were presented at a master plan open house here Tuesday night.
Airport director Steven Kjergaard explained that for years the airport’s two runways have started at the same spot, contrary to FAA regulations. The regulation is a safety measure to prevent accidents by pilots new to the airport, he said. The local strips are some of the only ones in the nation that still have such a configuration, said Kjergaard. The master plan update includes decoupling the runways to alleviate that problem.
In addition to decoupling the runways, the master plan update also presented two alternatives to the public for the airport’s shorter runway. Alternative B-I would chop Runway 2-20 so short that it couldn’t handle small jets, while alternative B-II would leave it with enough length to accommodate them, said Kjergaard. In windy conditions affecting smaller planes, the airport’s shorter runway is the easier one to use, he said. The technical steering committee and community advisory committee preferred the longer option, Kjergaard said.
Other changes have been worked into the master plan, said Kjergaard, such as accomodation of a bypass on North Huetter Road on its west and an extension of North Ramsey Road to its east. Airport advisory board member John Adams said the North Huetter Road bypass would forever limit the airport’s ability to expand to the west, but that it was a compromise the airport could live with. The airport would still have up to an 8,600-foot-long runway capable of handling the airport’s future needs, he said.
The Federal Aviation Administration will pay for 90 percent of the costs of the master plan’s updates with fees it collects on passenger tickets and aviation fuel, said Kjergaard. The other 10 percent will be the responsibility of the county and the state, he said. Estimates for the two alternatives presented Tuesday ranged from $21-27 million. Kjergaard said he expected the improvements to take at least five to seven years.
READ MORE in the Coeur d’Alene-Post Falls Press
about 20 hours ago
Three areas of downtown Lake Mills are proposed to be a part of the National Register of Historic Places. The areas… https://t.co/3kVaOe3kGw
02:31 PM Nov 19th
Our team put sustainability first while creating the award-winning design for this high-performance building. We we… https://t.co/yhCUEtIpUX
Emergency action planning is boring… until you have an emergency
November 20, 2018
Postwar architecture study receives California Governor’s Award
November 5, 2018
Strong finish to a very challenging dam design project
October 24, 2018