The American Council of Engineering Companies of Wisconsin (ACEC-WI) and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) are partnering for the 14th consecutive year to present the 2023 Transportation Improvement Conference. This year’s in-person event will offer ample education and networking opportunities for both consultants and WisDOT. Come see Mead & Hunt team members who will be speaking in the following sessions:
C1. Understanding the Railroad Coordination Process
March 8 | 1:25-2:25 p.m. | Speakers: Joanna Bush, PE, Mead & Hunt & Kristen Sommers, PE, WisDOT
Gain insight into the railroad coordination process, the people and agencies involved, what triggers different complexities and timelines within the process, and how you, the roadway designer, can ensure successful and timely coordination on your project.
- Help designers understand the railroad coordination process, how it varies depending on the project, and its impacts to the railroad, as well as the timelines associated with each of the typical types of projects.
- Provide a background on the role of the various entities and agencies involved in a project requiring railroad coordination.
- Provide guidance on preparing a railroad project submittal package and a railroad real estate submittal package.
D1. I-94 Reconstruction Design-Build Projects
March 8 | 2:40-3:40 p.m. | Speakers: Keith Farquhar, PE, PMP & Scott Hasburgh, PE, Mead & Hunt
This presentation will offer a case study of two design-build interstate reconstruction projects in Minnesota. The first project used a best-value procurement to address needs on approximately five miles of I-94 from St. Michael to Albertville. The second project used a low-bid procurement with design alternatives to address needs on approximately 15 miles of I-94 from Monticello to Clearwater. MnDOT prepared a preliminary layout for each project and allowed for innovation using an Alternative Technical Concept (ATC) process. Substantial changes to the preliminary layout were introduced for each project, resulting in both advantages and challenges during delivery of the project.
- Discover factors to consider when evaluating projects for design-build delivery.
- Learn about various approaches to procuring a design-build project.
- Review best practices on the use of Alternative Technical Concepts (ATC) to allow contractor innovation.